Little did I know, that this country would challenge me to the core, while snatching up my affection at the same time. I have been having quite a "western" weekend by ordering CHINESE take-out, going to see Sherlock Holmes and wandering around a beautiful upscale mall of marble decor and fancy stores. Based on my weekend, one would never know I was living in Egypt. But once outside, the reality smacks you in the face of women begging in the cold, sitting on street corners with their bundled babies in their arms. Fully covered women, exposing only their eyes through tiny slits share my seat on the tram, and are gracious to help me with directions knowing very well my Arabic is limited. Tiny dirty children play in the streets, and sit atop garbage piles in an area of the city designated for those who don't choose to participate in the majority belief system. Friday morning call to prayer provides large groups of men bowing toward Mecca on sidewalks all over the city. Donkeys pulling wagons of garbage own the roads each morning. I can't seem to escape how much this place is in need. I can escape for a few moments, but its not like I am on vacation and will be kissing it goodbye. Reality is setting in that this is now HOME ...and yes, that makes me smile :)

Comments

  1. Jeff and I have been sitting here in our cold, Pacific NW apartment, reading your blog, and discussing how ultimately amazing it would be if we could come visit you for a week or so; I mean really, how often can you say that you know someone who lives in Cairo?? :D If we (and you) had the time (and we the money) we would do something like that in an instant! I am glad to hear that Cairo is starting to feel like home for you, I look forward to each of your colorful posts! Take care!

    <3, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your cool photos and stories. Our thoughts our with you. Stay safe and have fun. Nice to hear how it's affecting you.
    love,
    the hogans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved ready your blogs. Please post more. I can live vicariously through your adventures. My heart goes out to you as you are in Egypt and having to deal with Aimee's passing. I wish I could fly out there and cry with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts