Temper Tantrums and Balconies

It's hot. I arrived back in Cairo to a new flat with non working AC, internet, or washing machine. Trying to adjust to a new part of the city is challenging enough, without adding the heat factor into the equation, but I was reminded of how "new" the luxury all three of those services are, I had to stop and remind myself that I would be fine...and surviving I am. :)

It didn't take long for Cairo to remind me why its spunk keeps my constant attention. I had ordered some pictures to be framed by a young carpenter in the market area not far from my new place. It was the cheaper option and I wanted to see if I could accomplish this big task on my own. It ended up being a bigger battle than I had anticipated. I had chosen 12 of my best shots traveling Peru, Egypt, Kenya and Ethiopia and together we picked out the right shades of wood for each photo. I was beyond thrilled to see my pictures on display. He originally told me the project would take 3 days, but I knew better. This is Egypt, so I gave him 8 days. I returned still not surprised that they were not ready. I proceeded to show him on the calendar my day of return to Egypt. I will need them on July 14th. He agreed, my gut still knew not to set my hopes too high. As promised, I returned what was now 30 days later that the original 3 days promised by him. As I approached his shop he smiled nervously, and I knew. But I was willing to fight, and I did. "I need until tomorrow," he stated. I have lived in Egypt 8 months now, I know how this works. "NO", I replied. "I want them now". He argued that it was impossible for that to occur, and I told him I would sit in the chair and watch him do the work promised. There I remained for 4 hours straight as he meticulously designed each frame. The first hour was awkward, we were both angry, me for his manipulation, and he at me, for my demands requiring hard work in hot, summer sun. But we broke the ice and ended up having a lot of fun chatting. As the sun went down, his pace did not slow down...he was focused and I was pleasantly surprised. He finished with a smile, and I got my pictures. Sometimes, ya just gotta throw a little bit of tantrum. :)

While enjoying a quiet morning breeze on my balcony, I heard someone trying to get my attention. I looked above me to see a kind older woman smiling down from her balcony above. I have always stated that balconies are one of my favorite aspects of Egyptian architecture and I was about to experience them on a new level. As the sun peaked I twisted my head backwards to try to make eye contact and answer her questions in Arabic. My eyes watered as the sun got brighter, and she kept chatting away! :) Moments later, she was lowering a basket by a rope asking me to borrow my nail polish. I was in disbelief, but took off running to locate it. How had she noticed my nails from up there? As she raised the rope back to her balcony, I found myself smiling at the captivating quirks of this culture. I was reminded how charming this place can be despite its difficulties. I can't imagine how baskets on ropes would work in suburbia in states, but this country uses them quite frequently. My new friend and I now have matching nails...and I want a basket of my own.

Comments

  1. It sounds like you are adapting more and more to the busy place that Egypt is, and it sounds like you're enjoying it too! :) I'm so glad it seems to be growing on you more and more, I know that I would probably have a hard time adjusting to all the new things there if I were you. I love your two stories, how ridiculous about your frames! But, as you say, it is a different world from what we live in. Sometimes I wish Americans were a bit more slow and steady, we always want everything right now....not that you are that way, but I know how it feels.

    Hope you get some AC soon, and if not, that you are able to sleep and live in patience and understanding as it sounds like you are now! Love you!

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts