It’s been a while since an update, but there is reason for that.

Since chemotherapy ended in April, I have been continuing my immunotherapy treatments every three weeks, while waiting for my surgical wounds to completely heal, and doing OT to help with lymphedema. But tomorrow is the big day. It’s the start of my radiation.

As some of you know I am in remission, so whether or not radiation is necessary is a debated topic within the Oncology world. As a result, I have been processing through an internal struggle with whether or not to sign off on this next phase of treatment. But despite the chronic risks, I am officially moving forward (I mean it this time). 

After an amazing summer of traveling abroad to Africa and South America for work, I will be staying put for radiation treatment 5 days a week through October. However, trips are already being planned for later in the fall, and I am more than ready to resume my work in its full capacity. Flying far away is a nice distraction from the reality of everything, if I am being totally honest.

Would you pray for me? I am nervous about the risks of radiation intensifying my lymphedema and potentially destroying my reconstruction. Also, starting in December, I will start my 5-year hormone blocker medication. As someone who generally hates taking medication, this is extremely difficult to accept.

Tomorrow night I have a scheduled chat with a good friend who was just diagnosed with an invasive form of colon cancer. Another friend is awaiting results to see if her breast cancer has spread to her lungs. It makes me sad, angry, and anxious, watching loved ones goes through this.

Cancer is not going away. 

These past 10 months have been painful, but I remain in good spirits. Never would I have imagined the loss of so much in such a short time period… my hair, my fertility, my independence. But despite the challenges, I rest in the reality that our peace is not determined solely by our circumstances. 

I look forward to another update in 6 weeks, when radiation is done!

 My hair is coming back in full force. Eyelashes are taking their sweet time Pic below:


 

 Thank you, again.

 

Comments

Popular Posts