On a Lighter Note...

Curious what are some of the everyday differences about living in Egypt vs life in the States? Below are some real life examples :)


Noise Laws: We don't have them. If your neighbor wants to begin a construction project at 11pm, he may. If you called the police to complain, you'd just get laughed at.


Yes we have Starbucks.


Flats are individually owned, not like a "managed complex" like in the States


Yes we have Pizza Hut.


Getting fountain drinks vs a can is a huge treat!


My gas bill to run my stove and heat my water costs me about $1 every month.


Yes we have Popeyes.


Our movie theater allows me to pick my seat at ticket purchase and we have an intermission. People may also have conversation via cell phones during the movie if they want.


Yes we have Chilis.


Buying a tube of decent quality mascara would cost me about $13.


I probably use the phrase "fi mushkala hena" more than I say anything else, which means:
There is a problem here.


Christians often have the Eastern cross tattooed on their wrist (both men and women)


Yes we have "On the Border"


I can order food from anywhere to be delivered...usually I do it online.


Adoption is against the law. Yes, I mean Egyptian children can't even be adopted by Egyptians.


Seat belts? ha!


Yes we have KFC.


Filling up one's car with gasoline costs about $12.


Yes we have Macaroni Grill.


Buying a kilo (around a pound) of fresh strawberries costs less than a dollar.


Restaurants have huge balconies in the front by the street so you can people watch.


Yes we have TGI Fridays.


Egypt is about 10% Christian by name.


Yes we have Cinnabon.


Not every Muslim woman covers, and some Christian women cover, but can be distinguished by how they wrap the scarf.


Yes we have Ruby Tuesdays.


You are not allowed to look over the railings or sit on the benches at the mall.


English is more likely spoken by younger Egyptians..French by older ones.


Friday is the Holy Day...so I work Sunday-Thursday and have church on Friday.


I have seen one carseat for a baby in my year and a half living here, and it was being used by foreigners.


Fast food workers are often very jolly and friendly.


There is no cell phone etiquette here...which gets really old.


It's against the law to take pics inside of the pyramids, but not if you are willing to pay the guard.


People smoke EVERYWHERE...including taxi drivers which often blows back into my face. But rarely will you see a woman smoking a cigarette.


Don't send flowers when someone dies...OOPS.


There is no warning when the doors are about to shut on the underground metro...so people often get stuck.


No there is no Taco Bell :(


Egyptians are big tea drinkers.


ALWAYS offer a snack if you open it next to someone, including strangers.


Lines are useless and have no place here.


You tip the bathroom attendants.


Cartons of eggs are commonly used as a prop in a mugging scam.


Chip and soda stands are EVERYWHERE!


In Cairo we don't swim in the Nile.


American brands of cereal cost about $10 to $13 a box.


Personal space? nope


My eye appointment was scheduled for 9:30PM.


Yes we have Carinos Italian Grill.


Being smiley on the street usually invites disaster.


Schools often discourage active learning and keep it to rote memory.


Men and women don't move in with friends, you stay home until married.


Yes we have Burger King.


Women can't lay down in parks (not even to read a book)


Yes we have Hardees/Carl's Jr.


You can even get fertility meds at the pharmacy.


Homosexuality is illegal, but it certainly happens here.


Cats are not cute and cuddly here.


Yes we have Subway.


I find American streets boring to look at (but that's just me)


There are no "livestock within city limits" laws here.


Those of us that have lived here often find ourselves accidentally walking out in front of fast moving cars upon our arrival back into our western countries...where it actually is dangerous and unheard of. OOPS. Here, the drivers expect it.


Yes we have Papa Johns.


Your balcony often collects the trash from those living above you.


You hear the phrase "Welcome at Egypt" at least once a day.


What privacy laws?


Egyptian babies are often the cutest in the world.


I don't even notice the call to prayer anymore..it's 5x day


You can have more than one wife, but women can't have more than one husband.


My house cleaner costs me $11.50 each time. She is Sudanese. Rumor is that they are the most trustworthy.


We can get our groceries delivered for less than a dollar.


I get to ride a "Women Only" car on the metro.


Tea and sheesha cafes are "men only"...I have two in my building below my flat.


Finding pork sold anywhere is rare.


Getting a drivers license is often a different experience for each person who goes.


It is acceptable to throw your trash on the ground.


Yes we have Panda Express.


Balconies are our thing...and we do them well.


J walking is how we roll.


No we don't have Chick-fil-A :(


I often see weasels on the way to work.


Your gas and electric bills are due whenever they show up at your house...you better have the money on hand.


You can take an hour long sailboat ride on the Nile for less than ten dollars.


I don't show my shoulders or knees.


Baskets on ropes ere constantly dropping off balconies to the sidewalks below to pick up deliveries. Just watch out or you'll get hit with one.


Born as an Egyptian you have two options: Muslim or Christian. Whatever your family is becomes your legal identity. Religious freedom? yeah right


If several men are at a cafe, it is best to walk on the street rather than directly by them...so as not to be seen as flaunting oneself.


Being a blonde here for me is not an option.


My favorite thing I have done is my middle of the night climb on Mt. Sinai. Stars galore...


Yes we have Fudruckers.


Skin is more seductive than tight clothing.


Word on the street is that Paris Hilton was here and said she would never return due to how she was harassed. Not our loss :)


We use hand signals as a way of communicating a lot here. Yes, they are polite.


Showing the bottom of your feet or shoe to anyone is extremely offensive.


Women shouldn't cross their legs in public.


People will ask you for tips.


If you are American they assume you to be Christian...so America's immorality is associated as being part of Christianity...sad huh?


Yes we have Baskin Robins.


Using your VISA is often seen as annoying and not readily accessible.


TOTALLY a Nocturnal Society


Listening to music with no headphones is acceptable here (so everyone else gets to "enjoy" it too).


Sidewalks are often more dangerous than streets...just trust those of us that live here.


Any sort of drama always draws a crowd.


Your trash will most likely be picked up by a donkey or horse cart.


Bugs aren't really a big issue in this part of Cairo. Mice are.


Sexual Harassment is a huge problem in Egypt.


Fresh flowers are not expensive.


If I don't talk, wear sunglasses, and am not walking, people think I am Egyptian. I have heard my walk gives me away as a foreigner.


Traffic Laws? are you kidding me...?


Yes we have H&M.


You get used to seeing fights on the street.


Don't expect people to be on time...not even for appointments or work.


Gas stations have on average 20 men working at each one.


My kitchen barely holds three people: I make toast on the stove top, wash my own dishes, don't own a microwave, and am afraid to use my oven.


The pyramids are about 17 miles from me.


Men rule here. I am working on accepting this one.


You quickly learn about the danger of GAS stoves and water heaters...as well as what it smells like when you leave it on.


Egyptian people are very communal and helpful.


The rest of the Middle East understand Egyptian Arabic because of the media done out of Cairo, but it doesn't work as well the other way around.


If you are a foreigner...don't expect privacy.


You only say taxi...never cab.


The Red Sea never gets old.


Letters and packages are read and opened before delivery.


A lot of websites like HULU and NETFLIX are blocked here (their choice, not Egypt's)


Definitely sexual discrimination. They don't care. Don't get me started.


Knowing when to play the "tourist" card at the right moment can be very useful...as well as knowing when to break out into Arabic.


We really need our tourists back...

Comments

  1. Very interesting comparisons! Who would have thought that the way you walk gave you away as a foreigner? :)

    We miss you!

    Your Cousin,
    Jessica~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. No way. So what happens if you get stuck in the subway? Do people get injured/die?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts