Friendship, Vortexes, and Drunk People...

 Just returning from a trip, I reflect. I met some interesting people, experienced new things, and watched God protect Beth and I from what could be some tough situations.

I had no idea that Europeans backpacked throughout the States. I guess it didn't occur to me that they would find our country worth their time... I was oh so wrong. After meeting people from all over Europe and hearing about their travels, I am more interested in seeing some of these places they speak so highly of in the USA.  There's  only 6 more states for me to visit to meet all 50 (New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Vermont, and Michigan). I'll get there someday.

My friend Beth is a British pal of mine, who I met during my time in Cairo. She was going to be in Arizona for a bit, so it only made sense for us to meet up, and explore. I have really missed her, so 4 days together was quite the treat. Meeting up in Phoenix and picking up our rental, is where I would have expected the craziness to begin. But my adventure really began in the San Francisco airport at the gate, waiting for my departure to Phoenix...

For some reason, strangers will often pick me out as someone to listen to them blab. In most cases, I don't mind enjoying a bit of small chat, hearing someone's story, joking around and passing time...especially in an airport. But twenty seconds into an awkward conversation with one particular woman, had me looking for an out. I bolted, and avoided her. Why? She was bragging about how smashed she was after spending the morning at the bar. She was loud, obnoxious, and totally unaware. I wasn't in the mood to deal with being her buddy.

As I got onto the plane, I forced a fake smile as she took her seat right next to me. Ugh. "Isn't this cool, we get to sit together?!!!!!" she asked. I responded, totally putting on a show, and trying to look positive.  "Just be nice. Christy," I kept saying to myself. "It's only two hours."

During take-off she couldn't stop whining of wanting to get even more wasted...wondering when she could buy the beer. Since we weren't at the proper altitude, I couldn't escape with the use of my i-pod yet. Although I did consider using it anyway...the flight attendant was way up front and wouldn't be able to see me. 

When it was finally time to serve drinks, my seat buddy ordered three beers. "There's no way they will serve her all three I thought." I was wrong. No questions asked, they happily accepted her credit card. "Wonderful" I thought..."Hopefully she'll be a sleepy drunk."  Wrong again.

Throughout the remainder of the flight, all the passengers sitting near us got the pleasure of listening to her music as well, (her head phones were on full blast), so we too could enjoy the mixture of sappy love songs. But the best part was when she decided to sing along. You know what I mean, when someone knows half the lyrics, and sorta does the hum thing to the words they don't know. Yep. Oh wait, then she decided to do MOTIONS to the song. I about died. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

At one point she insisted I too take part,  by jamming one of her earpieces into my ear. "It's my love song to my fiance'!" she shouted. After about 10 seconds, I took it out, telling her I knew the song, so I didn't need to listen to it.

She ordered another two beers, but was told we were almost landing so they would only bring her one. She then proceeded to go into detail with the flight attendant as to why she needed to get trashed, and her nerves of meeting her fiances kids for the first time. The flight attendant listened sweetly as she poured the beer. I sat there, eyes glued straight ahead...as I pondered whether or not to say something to the flight attendant.

During the last bit, as she fell deeper into a drunken state, I watched as she picked up her i-phone to call her fiance, thus having an argument... (yes we were still in the air). At one point, I put my head down, but suddenly felt her hands all over my back as she decided to give me a back rub. How sweet of her.

I will stop there...there's more, but you get the picture.

As I deplaned, other passengers commented  to me on her behavior. So, I made sure to politely inform the flight attendant responsible of my opinion of the ordeal as I walked out. I was ticked.

I should feel bad for the woman, but honestly, was just annoyed and excited to be reunited with sweet Beth in a few short moments.

Throughout the course of our trip, some interesting things caught our attention.  Prior to visiting the Grand Canyon, Beth and I thought it would be interesting to do a bit of exploring and hiking around Sedona, a beautiful area between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Funny thing was, the moment we arrived, both of us commented on the heaviness of our spirits. "Something in this place isn't quite right," we said. Yes it's beautiful, and the hiking was extraordinary. But something was off. We felt it.

We later discovered that Sedona is known as being one of the top New Age destinations in the world, primarily due its energy vortexes, which draw people from around the globe.

Well, that explains the sick feeling in our spirits.

We prayed for continued protection on our trip. God intervened. 

Upon our arrival to our hostel, we spent the first evening chatting away with the fun Danish girls who shared our room. The following evening, it appeared as though we would have the tiny room to ourselves. Hopeful that this would be the case, Beth asked the front desk if we were to be expecting any roommates later in the evening. They replied by saying the woman who was scheduled to room with us,  had been asked to leave the premises because she was clearly insane.

What? Yikes. Thank you Lord for sparing us that ordeal. I wondered what it would have been like sharing a room with a crazy woman. Would she have gone through our stuff? Or would I have awoken to her standing beside the bunk staring at me as I slept. Ha! Eery...

We did end up sharing our room with Belgians. They were fine. Not as much fun as the Danish, but at least not crazy. 

Everything everyone says about the Grand Canyon is true. It's vast. It's stunning. It brings a calm. I often think about the Native Tribes who lived near it, and wonder what they thought of it. 

 The tourists (like us) are a lot of fun to watch. Nothing beats people watching...no matter where you are.
After a long day of hiking, walking, and soaking up the sun, Beth and I chose to rest on the edge of the canyon. While we were sitting side by side admiring the spectacular view of the sun setting, a harsh wind gust came and picked up my backpack, dropping it right on the edge of the canyon.  We both gasped, as I reached to snag it. The most difficult result would have been losing the only set of keys to the rental car. Thank you Lord.

We enjoyed the simple things as well, like the giant elk which calmly weaved through traffic...freaking us out, but leaving us be; the sweet elderly people who worked in the shops; the kind foreign backpackers who love this country and appreciate its beauty; the families who excitedly tour the Grand Canyon, reminding me of Seifert family road trips in the summers; delicious Mexican food; ancient Native American ruins; and park rangers...haha. I just love park rangers. 

It was also special for me to be able to introduce Beth to Taco Bell and the Cracker Barrel! And did you know that Arizona has Chick-Fil-A?? So that was literally our first stop. We sat in the HERTZ garage at the airport,  Googling where the nearest Chick-Fil-A was located. HA! found one. And off we went.

 Prior to my trip, I emailed Chick-Fil-A to see of their plans to expand to the northwest. They kindly replied with a gentle "no".  :(










Actually, I am quite frightened of heights...

One fatal fall per year...aproximately



We couldn't escape Egypt even if we tried...haha. But sad news, we hate to see.


The trip landed right at the perfect time for both of us, due to tests and trials we are both working through. It's nice to have a block of time with a close friend to just talk as you drive through the beauty of His creation. The timing was right on. 

In moments of darkness, I was thankful for His presence, His guidance, His protection, and how He spoke to me during those few days. Amongst this period of life, I am reminded of blessings like wise friends, who know truth and claim it, listening ears, and prayerful companions. Thankful to God especially for the rich friendships He has placed in my life in many capacities. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts