Once Upon A Time...


For I am sometimes ashamed of the gospel of Christ...


There is no logic when discussing the foundations of Christianity with those on the "outside." When it came down to opening up about my religious beliefs to other "religious people", I seemed to have no problem...Muslims, Mormons, Catholics (well, with Catholics there tends to be some tensions), Hindus, Buddhists, etc...no worries. They have their own stuff they claim...they deal with harassment as well...they get it.  But it was when I found myself discussing my beliefs with the non-religious sect that I would begin to panic.


Why? 
Because when you really stop and think about what the Bible teaches... it sounds silly.  


This is pretty much what some people take away from the beliefs of Christianity:


Once upon a time, there was a "forever spirit" who existed. Let's call it a "he". He decided it was time to create. He spoke, and suddenly millions of planets and far away galaxies popped into existence. But one tiny planet, was made for a very special purpose...he called it earth. On this earth he placed living creatures called animals and people. People were superior to animals but they all lived happily and cordially in this beautiful paradise. The "forever spirit" was happy, the people were happy, and everyone was at peace. aaaaaah


One day, a wicked snake like thing began to speak. During his conversation with the world's first woman, he asked her to eat a forbidden piece of fruit, which totally went against what the "forever spirit" previously warned her about. She did it. This one action introduced dark evil, we'll call it sin, into the perfect paradise. The "forever spirit" and the king of the "dark world" began fighting. Thus bad stuff started to happen, and a horrific downward spiral began torturing mankind for thousands of years. The curse was in full force...


Then one day, during the time of the Roman rule in Israel, a young village girl got pregnant, but the weird thing was that she says she had never had sex. She says that the "forever spirit" was responsible for putting this baby inside of her body! Now listen carefully, the baby is the human form of the "forever spirit." The baby grew up, and was special. He was perfect, and many people hated him for it. They also hated him cause He claimed to be the creator of their world, just in human form. 


One day in his early thirties, he was murdered. But the strange thing, is that after he was buried, he came back to life.  This is a depiction of how the "forever spirit" is winning in his fight with the evil world that first made itself known years prior in the paradise garden. 


Now, those that believe that the death of the "human forever spirit" is the necessary payment for people to live eternally in another perfect paradise...full of peace and no pain.  The rest of the people, who don't believe this will be cast into a horrible dark pit of fire, and burn eternally. 


and...YIKES


:/


But in all seriousness, that is how it comes across at times. Now obviously I left out key theological foundations. Please don't freak out. I only meant to simply cover the basics. But look how creepy our "basics" can appear...
That's one of the struggles in sharing Christianity...it's complex, and so involved...and it can be especially challenging knowing what to share and when, with those asking questions.  But  thankfully, I  have never put too much pressure on myself. It's not like "I have to say the exact right thing." I am gladly used as a tool, but the outcome is up to God and His work within individual lives.

Now some people say to me, but Christy it is so simple, thus throwing a tract, or colored beaded bracelet at me. Don't even get me started on "salvation tracts." Honestly, if a person is introduced to Christianity, and 5 minutes later "joins the club" I am alarmed and concerned. It should be a big deal, not something to be taken lightly.


So back to my initial statement...


Yes, I have the tendency to be ashamed...or maybe embarrassed is a better word. It's a blow to one's ego when others look and say, "You gullible, emotionally driven, illogical girl," which then dismisses any respect they had for my intelligence, or valuing my opinions.  Umm...I don't want to be seen as any of those things...I do care how people perceive me. I do.


I know the Bible and its teachings can seem ridiculous. I know Christians constantly give themselves bad names with nasty hypocrisy. I have watched self proclaimed Christians promise "rainbows and butterflies"  to people in efforts to sway them to become Christians (AAAHHHH!).  I know we can appear judgmental, arrogant, and self righteous. Sometimes, I don't even want people knowing I am a Christian. It's less drama that way sometimes.


I know.


BUT...


I also know first hand the power the Holy Spirit. I have seen strong (or sometimes even small) Christian faith move mountains. I have been in the presence of miracles. I have experienced the power of God, and how He works in even the small details of the lives of His own. I believe the Scriptures, and the power they hold.


Being a Christian is not easy. God does not promise painless lives for those who love Him (regardless of what some people say). But He does ensure that when we seek Him, He will show up. The benefits of knowing God far outweigh the "problem free" lives on earth that many of us hope and live for. 


I am learning the benefits of "sucking it up" when I get squirmish about sharing my faith. Basically, my whole perspective has been challenged...and it's been quite humbling to learn more about myself in relation to this whole topic. It's still hard for me at times, cause I am slowly working through so many of my own questions, but I am gaining confidence in my role as a believer to stand for truth.


 I am not going to explain the changes on my blog, it's not for everyone to know... but the painful events of the last six months have done more than rock my faith, they have shifted my view of the gospel...thus altering my life’s course, and what I desire within it. 













Comments

Popular Posts